(meteorobs) belgian observervations during second world black out

Anne van Weerden (via Lew Gramer) A.vanWeerden at phys.uu.nl
Wed Jul 19 15:09:23 EDT 2006

>To: Nikola Biliskov; meteorobs

Hi Nikola,

I assume you mean by 'other' also other countries?

I found an article on Wikipedia that describes 'darkening'
(verduistering) in the Netherlands during the second world war in about
the same way my parents told about it.
 http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verduistering_%28oorlog%29

Babelfish translation:
 http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=nl_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnl.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FVerduistering_%28oorlog%29

Not everything in the translation is ok, but maybe it is sufficient.
My parents were still proud to have been able to find each other in the
park at nights when it was cloudy!

The Dutch 'Werkgroep Meteoren' was founded in 1946 (see
http://www.astro.uu.nl/~meteors/2003-3_halve-eeuw.htm )
(http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr  "the hunter" in the
translation is Prof. dr. Cees de Jager from Utrecht, jager=hunter :)

I am pretty sure people did watch meteors during the 'darkening', what
made them found the 'werkgroep' in '46.

Maybe you could contact the observatory "Sonnenborgh" in Utrecht to ask
them, because prof. de Jager was one of the founders.
http://www.dekoepel.nl/sonnenborgh.html

They have a museum and a library (=bibliotheek) where you can find info
about the years during the war.
And you could try the link (same website, left) of the journal "Zenit",
which was called: "Hemel en Dampkring" (Heaven and sky) in those years
(1902-1973). The only time it did not appear was October 1944 - June
1945, so there is surely also info about meteors during the war.

Anne van Weerden