(meteorobs) Possible outburst of beta-Perseids

pmartsching at mchsi.com pmartsching at mchsi.com
Wed Jul 26 21:00:07 EDT 2006

On 9/10 August 1988 I saw an unusual number of Perseids during one hour.
CDST 9/10 Aug 1988 2:00 - 3:00am = UT 10 Aug 1988 7:00 - 8:00
During this hour I saw 34 Perseids.  At that time I seldom made magnitude
estimates of meteors.  My note says: "Many were fairly faint and within 10
degrees of the main radiant.  Most had trains."

My meteor counts that night:

UT           PER  UPE  KCG   Spor  L.M.
03:00-04:00   7   1    1     11    6.1
04:00-05:00   2   3    3      5    6.25
05:00-06:00  17   5    0      5    6.3
06:00-07:00  16   2    0      9    6.3
07:00-08:00  34   2    0     20*   6.25
08:00-08:30  11   2    0      5    6.15  0.5 hour

*My note about the 20 Sporadics 07:00-08:00: "Most were 4th & 5th magn. medium
speed, no trains & in Cassiopeia.  path length generally 1 - 4 degrees."

The UPE's (Upsilon Pegasids) were still active then.  They seem to have vanished
completely in the past few years.

I was facing Andromeda and the Double Cluster.  Observing at my usual place: 93
deg 34 min W; 42 deg 05 min N; 4 miles NE of Ames, Story County, Iowa.

Paul Martsching