(meteorobs) Possible outburst of beta-Perseids

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Mon Jul 31 23:15:06 EDT 2006

From: "Robert Lunsford" <lunro.imo.usa at cox.net>

> Quanzhi and All,
>
> Throughout the years many sub-radiants of the Perseids have often been
> reported. One of the most common of these sub-radiants is the Beta
> Perseids, which has a radiant in southern Perseus near the famous variable
> star Algol (Beta Persei). Therefore the main difference between these
> meteors and the normal Perseids is that they seem to line up with Algol,
> rather than further north near the Double Cluster.
>
> I hope this helps!
>
> Bob Lunsford

If the radiant it's real we must remimder that probably this meteor
shower haven't the same origin of the Perseids (Swift-Tuttle)
but come from an other comet (unknown), casually in the same
period and position of Perseids: for this it shall be
very important determine the exact radiant and especially
the speed of the meteors for to can calculate their orbits.
We must reminder too that in this date (8 August)
the ordinary Perseids shall be actives, then perharps
the observers should observe a field with the center on the
radiant of Beta Perseid o between the two radiants for
to known  what are the Beta Perseids and
what are the ordinary Perseids.
If the Beta Perseids return we shall see this immediatly by
the big number of meteors, but it must be reminder too
that the biggest number ot they shall be not luminous.
It shall be too interesting known the sequence of magnitudes
(R value), the colours, the number of trail and if they have
outbursts.
Clear sky.
Roberto Gorelli

CUT