(meteorobs) Observation May 31/June 1, 2006 from Slovenia

javor.kac at guest.arnes.si javor.kac at guest.arnes.si
Thu Jun 1 12:19:13 EDT 2006

Hi All,

We had bad weather with lots of rain in the past few days but it
cleared up nicely yesterday so I decided to check for possible
activity from the Tau Herculids again.
I observed from the same location as last week. Again, the sky was
superb, especially considering the proximity of a big city. I started
with the Moon low in the west and faced ESE during the first period.
The meteor activity was very low in the first period with only five
meteors seen. I decided to face WNW in the second period. The Moon had
set by then and the Milky Way was becoming annoying. Meteors were more
numerous in the second period as I recorded 14 meteors. Only was could
be considered a possible Tau Herculid. It appeared in Leo Minor, was a
bit on a fast side with 6 degrees/second and the miss distance from
the predicted THE radiant (from Rainer's and Jeremie's recent paper in
WGN) was about 10 degrees.
Other notable meteors were a +1 magnitude sporadic meteor in the
zenith with a double flare, a fast magnitude -1 sporadic close to
Jupiter that left a 2-second train and an orange very slow magnitude 0
meteor in Coma Berenices.

The Tau Herculid activity during the observation period was thus
insubstantial.

Clear skies!
Javor

The Summary: