(meteorobs) NAMN Notes: June 2006

Mark Davis meteors at comcast.net
Thu Jun 1 18:26:03 EDT 2006

**************************
NAMN Notes:  June 2006
**************************

Introduction:
NAMN Notes is a monthly newsletter produced by the North American Meteor
Network, and is available both via email, and on the NAMN website at:
http://www.namnmeteors.org

Contents:

1.  June Bootid Activity...
2.  Other June Showers...
3.  RASC Award for Meteor Researcher - Ed Majden...
4.  Summer Reading for Meteor Enthusiasts...
5.  Meteor Info Sheets for the Public...
6.  Maps and Tools for Learning the Sky...
7.  Upcoming Meetings...
8.  For more info...

1.  June Bootid Activity...

June has come quickly!  It is hard to believe that we are almost into summer
in the northern hemisphere.  For meteors, June is a quiet month - and a time
to get things organized and together before all the many meteor showers of
July and August.  If you need to really learn your sky, now is the month to
do it.

The June Bootids (JBO) reach a peak on June 27, with an estimated peak time
of 14 hr UT, according to the International Meteor Organization (IMO).
UT refers to Universal Time, and is the time at Greenwich, England.

These meteors are debris from Comet 7P/Pons-Winnecke.  The comet was
discovered from Marseilles, France on June 12th, 1819 by the famous comet
hunter Jean Louis Pons.  It was accidentally rediscovered on March 9th, 1858
by Friedrich August Theodor Winnecke of Bonn, Germany.  Both names were used
for the comet.  According to Gary Kronk, in his book "Comets - A Descriptive
Catalog":

"Johann Encke took special interest in the calculation of this comet's
orbit - primarily because of his earliest calculation of an orbital period
of just 2.3 years.  He set out to calculate a definitive orbit to enable a
future recovery and then obtained a period of 5.62 years.  Despite Encke's
thoroughness, his orbit did not allow a recovery at later returns and Comet
Pons was considered lost...  Orbital calculations not long after
<Winnecke's> discovery indicated a possible relationship with Comet
Pons... by the time the comet was last observed the comets were proved to be
identical."

The June Bootids, the debris from Comet Pons-Winnecke, can be observed from
about June 26th until July 2nd.  The ZHR rate for this meteor shower is
classed as variable.  What is ZHR?  This stands for Zenithal Hourly Rate,
and is the number of meteors that an observer would expect to see in an
hour, on average, if they are out under a dark country sky, and if the
radiant, the area in the sky where the meteors seem to come from, is
directly overhead.

In 1998, there was an outburst, with ZHR rates ranging from 50 to over 100
meteors per hour visible for over half a day.  Another outburst occurred in
2004, on June 23rd, with ZHR rates of about 20 to 50.  Please monitor this
shower closely this year - as the skies will be very favorable near the new
moon.

The June Bootids are nice slow meteors, with a velocity of about 18 km per
second - so will be very distinctive.  Even for novice observers, these
meteors will stay visible long enough to make an impression.

The radiant at maximum will be at 224 degrees, ie. RA 14h 55.8m, Dec +48,
which is about 8 degrees north of the star beta Bootes, the star known as
Nekkar.  To see a map of this radiant, check out
http://www.imo.net/calendar/2006/spring.  For star charts to
help you in identifying constellations and estimating the brightness of the
meteors you see, go to http://www.namnmeteors.org/charts.html, set your
printer to 'landscape' mode, and print yourself off a set of our 4 NAMN star
charts to take out observing with you.

If you want to record visual data for the meteor researchers,
check out our NAMN Observing Guide for information on what to record.  Our
Guide can be found at http://www.namnmeteors.org/guide.html.  We record such
info as the time a meteor occurred, its magnitude (brightness), the shower
it belongs to, its speed, and other comments such as train left behind, or
color.  General information to record includes such things as how dark your
perceived sky is (limiting magnitude), and comments on weather and cloud
cover.  If you have any questions, drop a note to the NAMN Coordinator at
meteors at comcast.net

Forms to record your observations can be found at
http://www.namnmeteors.org/namn_form.html and
http://www.namnmeteors.org/appendixC.html

2.  Other June Showers...

The Sagittarids (SAG) started to become active about April 15th, and will
last through until about July 15th.  These are almost slow meteors, at about
30 km per second.  ZHR rates are about 5 meteors per hour.  Coordinates for
the radiant in June are as follows:

June 10   265   -23  ie. RA 17h 40.2m  Dec -23
June 15   270   -23  ie. RA 18h 00m    Dec -23
June 20   275   -23  ie. RA 18h 19.8m  Dec -23
June 25   280   -23  ie. RA 18h 40.2m  Dec -23
June 30   284   -23  ie. RA 18h 55.8m  Dec -23

Fireballs have been associated with the Sagittarid shower, so those
observers monitoring this activity could be nicely rewarded for their
efforts.

The June Lyrids (JLY), although not on the IMO 'Working List of Visual
Meteor Showers' this year, are worth monitoring.  They are visible from
about June 11th to 21st, with a possible maximum on June 16th.  The radiant
is at 278 degrees, ie. RA 18h 31.8m, Dec +35.  The meteors have an average
magnitude of about 3.  A map of the radiant can be found at
http://www.imo.net/calendar/2004/spring.  These are almost slow meteors
with a velocity of about 31 km per second.  Plotting is encouraged to better
determine the radiant position for the meteor researchers.

For radio meteor observers, daylight shower peak times are as follows:
Arietids        June  7  16h UT
zeta Perseids   June  9  16h UT
beta Taurids    June 28  15h UT

According to the IMO, "the Arietid and zeta-Perseid maxima tend to blend
into one another, producing a strong radio signature for several days in
early June.  There are indications these two shower maxima now each occur
up to a day later than indicated here too".  For full details on these
showers, check out the IMO website at http://www.imo.net

For other minor showers not on the International Meteor Organization's
'Working List of Visual Meteor Showers', and for a wealth of
historical information on all showers, check out Gary Kronk's "Comets and
Meteor Showers" website at http://comets.amsmeteors.org

Besides June's main activity, and other minor showers, there is also
sporadic meteor activity.  This sporadic meteor activity is about 7 meteors
per hour, visible to the unaided eye.  Some of these are random, and some
belong to old untraceable meteor showers.

Planets at midmonth, and their magnitudes, for northern observers, are:
Venus      -3.8  very low in east-northeast in morning twilight
Jupiter    -2.4  in Libra
Mercury    -0.1  very low in west-northwest in evening twilight
Saturn      0.4  in Cancer, low in west-northwest in evening twilight
Mars        1.7  in Cancer, low in west-northwest in evening twilight

The phases of the moon for June are as follows:
Sat. June  3    first quarter
Sun. June 11    full moon
Sun. June 18    last quarter
Sun. June 25    new moon

3.  RASC Award for Meteor Researcher - Ed Majden...

On the Victoria Day weekend in May in Canada, Ed Majden was awarded the
Chant Medal of the RASC, the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, for
his contributions to astronomy.

The Chant Medal was established in 1940 by the Society "in appreciation of
the great work of the late Prof. C.A. Chant in furthering the interests of
astronomy in Canada".  This medal is awarded to an amateur astronomer
resident in Canada "on the basis of the value of the work carried out in
astronomy and closely allied fields of the original investigation."

Clarence Augustus Chant is often called the 'father of Canadian astronomy',
for his efforts to expand astronomy education in Canada, and establish
professional astronomical facilities.  He is also well known for a very
unusual meteor event that occurred on Sunday, February 9th, 1913, in the
skies over North America.  A large number of slow majestic meteors
travelled in small groups on a similar path across the sky, one group after
another in procession.  Chant documented the observations - and the meteor
event is now known as "Chant's procession".  Chant's extremely interesting
paper on this event, "An Extraordinary Meteoric Display", complete with many
drawings and observers' reports, can be printed off from the ADS website at
http://adswww.harvard.edu by looking under "Journal of the Royal
Astronomical Society of Canada", 1913, Vol. 7, p. 145, ref.
'1913JRASC...7..145C'.

How fitting that the Chant Medal should now be awarded to a dedicated meteor
researcher!

We asked Ed Majden a number of questions about his meteor observations and
research.  The following comments are in his own words, as provided in an
interview for NAMN:

1.  How did you originally get interested in studying meteors?

     "I joined the Regina Astronomical Society as a young student in 1953.
My first exciting observation was that of the transit of Mercury in this
same year.  The RAS conducted visual meteor observations in support of Dr.
Peter Millman's meteor programs at the Dominion Observatory in Ottawa.  I
was introduced to meteor observing at this time and found this very
interesting.  As Secretary of the RAS, I helped organize a province-wide
observation program called Operation Perseid.  See:  JRASC Vol 51, No. 2"

 2.  What was your working career?  What types of work did you do?  Was
your career related to meteors in any way, or were meteors an interest that
followed due to related fields (electronics, optics, etc.... )

     "After high school I enlisted in the RCAF and was trained as an
Armament Systems Technician.  We looked after FCS Radars in fighter
aircraft, missile guidance systems, and even torpedoes if you were posted to
Maritime Command.  The highlight of my career was a posting with RCAF No. 1
Air Division in Europe.  I spent a couple of months at 2(F) Wing in France
on CF-100's and then was transferred to 3(F) Wing Zweibrucken, Germany where
we accepted our new CF-104 Strike Recon. fighters.  Another highlight was
working on the Bomarc SAM at La Macaza, Quebec and later North Bay Bomarc.
My military career ended after 27 years 8 months of service, at CFB Comox in
1986.  Coming from the cold Prairies, I decided to retire here in Courtenay,
B.C..  The skies are not as clear as Saskatchewan, especially in the winter,
but the advantage is not freezing your butt or continuously shovelling snow,
ha! ha!!"

3.  Where were you born?  Where have you lived over the years... and how
     did you end up in Courtenay, B.C.?

     "I was born in Regina, Saskatchewan in October 1939.  As noted above, I
was stationed at various units across Canada and then Europe.  My first ops
station was St. Hubert, Quebec where I worked on the CF-100 interceptor."

4.  Who were the meteor researchers that originally inspired you when you
      first got started?

     "When I joined the Regina Astronomical Society, the late John V. Hodges
was active in meteor spectroscopy, with an objective prism mounted on an old
cut film tourist camera.  The Regina group obtained their first spectrum in
1955, which was designated as World List Spectrum Number 187.  This was the
year the RAS Observatory was completed, and Dr. Peter M. Millman came out
for the official opening. Peter was of course an early pioneer in meteor
spectroscopy and was a world authority.  Peter and John got me interested in
this field.  The RAS obtained a second spectrum in 1956, designated as
Spectrum Number 201 on Millman's World List.  Meteor spectra were still few
in number so all were considered important at this time.  The first meteor
spectrum was obtained by chance in 1897 during a Harvard stellar spectra
patrol program.  At the end of 1958 there were only 318 known meteor spectra
on record."

5.  What was your very first meteor project?

     "John Hodges adapted his prism to an old Olympus 120 camera that I had.
When he was not using it I tried in vain to capture a spectrum but was not
successful.  This was during IGY in 1957/58.  At this time I was elected
president of the Regina Society, and was also the IGY Meteor Program
Reporter for the group.  When I enlisted in the RCAF I became an armchair
astronomer so to speak, reading many papers on meteor spectra that were
kindly sent to me by Dr. Peter Millman and Dr. Ian Halliday, and others."

6.  Over the years, what new projects, or new directions did your meteor
     work take?

     "In 1969 I read a paper by Professor John A. Russell in Sky & Tel.  He
was using a surplus K-24 aero lens fitted with an objective prism to record
meteor spectra.  This sparked my interest again, and I started looking for a
prism of my own.  The one I found was unsatisfactory as it was a large 60
degree prism of dubious quality.  I mentioned this to Peter Millman and he
suggested that I have my prism cut into two 30 degree prisms.  Not having
the capability to do this, Peter found a firm in Ottawa that could do this
at a price I could then afford.  I mounted one of the prisms on a surplus
F-2.5 Aero Ektar lens and fitted it to an old 4X5 Crown Graphic camera.  I
obtained two Perseid spectra with this unit in 1972 when visiting my sister
in Boundary Bay, B.C..  I never looked back since, as I was bitten by this
bug!"

7.  What are your current meteor projects?

     "I am still using my old objective prism units to obtain spectra.  My
best one to date was obtained in 1986, and Dr. Jiri Borovicka (at the Czech
Academy of Sciences and Ondrejov Observatory) and I wrote a joint paper that
was published in the JRASC.  Sadly, the meteor programs at NRC were
terminated as a budget saving measure so I had to look elsewhere for experts
in this field.  Jiri Borovicka kindly volunteered to measure my best
spectra.  I have since added transmission gratings and an image intensifier
system to my equipment.  See my home page at:
http://members.shaw.ca/epmajden/index.htm"

8.  Who are your current meteor mentors?

     "My current mentors are Dr. Jiri Borovicka, head of the meteor spectra
program in the Czech Republic.  Also one of Jiri's grad students, Dr. Josep
M. Trigo-Rodriguez in Spain.  I have also been in contact with Dr. Peter
Jenniskens, from NASA/SETI.  He has my video intensified spectra in his
archive and hopefully they will be of some use in the future.  I am also in
contact with Dr. Bob Hawkes, Dr. Peter Brown and other MIAC members.
Also Dr. Jeremy Tatum who is not a meteor spectroscopist but has a lot of
experience with stellar spectra and orbits, etc.."

9.  What project results over the years have brought you the most personal
     satisfaction?

     "Nothing really sticks out here.  Any spectrum that I record is
exciting as spectra on film are difficult to obtain using conventional
equipment.  Today, there are many spectra on record so only the best get
measured, as this is rather time consuming and professionals have limited
time for this."

10.  What project results over the years do you believe have been of the
       most use to the professional meteor researchers?

     "Jiri Borovicka found my 1986 Perseid spectrum useful and as mentioned,
a paper was presented on it.  Also, I hope my image intensified Leonid storm
spectra will prove useful in the future."

11.  If a new person starting out in meteors wanted to get involved in the
       type of meteor projects that you have been doing, what type of skills
       would they need?

     "This is a difficult question to answer.  I once asked Ian Halliday if
this was still worth doing.  He commented that the utility of doing
spectroscopy is complex but is still worth the effort.  An amateur like
myself operates from a single location.  It is very desirable to have height
information by triangulation.  This requires setting up another station 30
to 100 km. away.  So far I have not found anyone that wants to do this."

     "Today, precision blazed transmission gratings are preferred over
objective prism units.  Such gratings are expensive especially in larger
sizes.  Large format cameras with long fast focal length lenses such as
Kodak Aero Ektars, etc. are ideal.  I have modified an F-24 British Aero
camera to accept 4X5 cut film.  Unfortunately at $1.00 plus for each
exposure this can quickly add up.  I also use a 120 format camera which
reduces the cost of film but dispersion is less than the 4X5 system.  In the
past, professionals used 8X10 glass plates but the cost of doing this is
prohibitive.  These units will only record spectra of meteors of -2.0
magnitude and brighter so your chances of recording a good spectrum is
rather slim.  You can use up a lot of film before one is recorded."

     "Amateurs tend to concentrate their efforts during the peak periods of
major meteor showers as this increases one's chances of recording a
spectrum.  Unfortunately today, there are many spectra recorded from major
showers like the Perseids and Geminids.  Unless you record a very good
spectrum from these showers it probably will not add anything new to the
science, so is unlikely to be measured at this time.  Spectra from minor
showers are still few in number so these can still be important.  Also, it
is highly desirable to record the spectrum of a possible meteorite dropping
fireball.  Chances of doing this are rather slim however.  The Czechs
recorded a fireball spectrum with over 1000 lines measured.  A dream of
mine!"

     "There is very little written on this subject for amateur consumption.
Probably the best source is the IMO Photographic Handbook, available for
download on their website.  See http://www.imo.net and
http://www.imo.net/photo/handbook.  There is a chapter written on meteor
spectroscopy."

     "Other sources I use are professional papers on this topic.  Somewhat
difficult for the novice to understand and digest.  Many of these are
available on ADS, the Astronomical Data Service website at:
http://adswww.harvard.edu & http://adsabs.harvard.edu/ads_abstracts.html
You can also check a good library for technical publications on this
subject.  This will give you some idea of what professional researchers are
doing."

     "Dr. Martin Beech from the University of Regina has just published a
book for meteor enthusiasts.  It even has a couple of my photographs in it
I'm told.  I have not seen a copy yet but Dr. Jeremy Tatum recommends it and
is writing a review of it.  It's published in England, and might be hard to
find here.  The publisher is Crowood Press.  It's called "Meteors and
Meteorites:  Origins and Observations", paperback, publication date February
2006, ISBN number 1 86126 825 4.  The Crowood website is at
http://www.crowoodpress.co.uk"

12.  Could you give us some web links to further information on your
meteor projects and the types of research you are doing?

     "The best thing to do here is a Google Search for 'meteor spectra',
'meteor spectroscopy', etc.  This will turn up many hits of this subject.
Too many to list here."

13.  With light pollution becoming an issue all over the globe, what do
       you see as the best projects for dedicated amateur meteor observers
       in the future?

     "Light pollution is indeed a problem.  This can limit the length of
your time exposures.  One just has to experiment to see what is acceptable.
My own backyard observatory site is unfortunately getting worse every year
but I guess you have to learn to live with this."

Congratulations go out to Ed Majden for being awarded the Chant Medal of the
RASC!

4.  Summer Reading for Meteor Enthusiasts...

Wondering what to do on those overcast summer days and evenings at the
cottage?  Or those quiet cloudy nights at home?  There is a wonderful
reading list on the website of the ASP, the Astronomical Society of the
Pacific, for those interested in some lighthearted summer fiction reading.

Check out http://www.astrosociety.org/education/resources/scifiprint.html

It is called a list of 'Science Fiction Stories with Good Astronomy &
Physics'.  The list was compiled by Andrew Fraknoi in 2002.  You will have
to, of course, judge the science for yourself!

Samples of sci-fi reading on the list include the following:

Clarke, Arthur C. - "The Hammer of God".  1993, Bantam.  An asteroid
threatens to collide with the Earth.

Niven, Larry & Pournelle, Jerry - "Lucifer's Hammer".  1977, Fawcett.  A
giant asteroid or comet collides with the Earth.

Carver, Jeff - "Neptune Crossing".  1994, Tor.  An intelligent life-form on
Neptune's moon Triton helps humans prevent a comet from crashing into the
Earth.

Benford, Gregory & Carter, Paul - "Iceborn".  1989, Tor.  Proposes a form of
life that can survive on Pluto and in the Oort Cloud.

Davies, Paul - "Fireball".  1987, Heinemann.  Antimatter micrometeorites
threaten Earth.

Innes, Michael - "The Weight of the Evidence".  1943, Harper/Perennial.  A
somewhat ordinary murder mystery, but the murder was committed using a
meteorite in a university setting.

Lunan, Duncan - "The Comet, the Cairn, and the Capsule" in Asimov, Isaac, et
al, eds. - "Comets".  1986, Signet/NAL.  Several civilizations leave
messages on the nucleus of an interstellar comet.

Anderson, Poul - "Pride" in Asimov, Isaac, et al., eds. - "Comets".  1986,
Signet/NAL.  About 'Nemesis', the hypothesized star whose interaction with
the Oort Cloud is supposed to result in 'comet showers' coming into the
inner solar system.

Some of the titles on the list are out of print - but summer is a great time
to check out secondhand bookstores for interesting reading of all kinds...

5.  Meteor Info Sheets for the Public...

Need some info sheets on meteors and what's up in the sky - for the public,
or your local astronomy club, or for your kids' school or scout groups?
NAMN has a number of printable handout sheets available:

1.  "How to Observe Shooting Stars" - our tri-fold, 2-sided NAMN brochure
2.  "What are Meteors?" - a 1 page info sheet on showers throughout the year
3.  "What is a Meteor?" - a French info sheet, with thanks to Pierre Martin
4.  "Surf the Astro Web!" - a list of recommended astronomy websites
5.  "What's Up Tonight?" - how to find out what's visible in tonight's sky

These info sheets are available in electronic form at no charge - just
email Lew Gramer, our Public Outreach Coordinator at dedalus at alum.mit.edu,
or any of the rest of us, addresses at the end of the newsletter. The info
sheets are in Word format, and you can just print off as many copies as you
need.  Enjoy!

6.  Maps and Tools for Learning the Sky...

There are many great maps and tools on the web for learning the
constellations of the sky - and learning about space.

If you are new to meteor observing, you really need to learn your sky.
There are many maps available - and some are a lot easier to follow than
others.  This writer has found many maps that are so complicated - or so
compact - that even an experienced observer has difficulty following them.
A map for a beginner should be clean, not complicated.  Some maps are in
books and printed form, and some are on the web.  Computer programs that
show the sky are available - but something that you can print off for free,
and take outside at night is far preferable to a map for indoor enjoyment.

One of the simplest sky charts can be found on the website "Heavens Above",
at http://www.heavens-above.com.  Ignore the 'Register' bit.  Just 'Select'
your country, then your city, and then scroll down the page to 'Whole Sky
Chart'.  Type in what day you want, and pick a time of night.  Pick black on
white, as it's easier to read.  Then print it.  It will give you your
constellations, and show you where all the visible planets are.  And - it's
really easy to learn the constellations from these maps.  Print a couple,
for different times of night.  Maybe 9 p.m., and midnight, and 3 a.m.  That
will cover the sky as the constellations move throughout your night.

NAMN has a set of great star charts too.  Ours are designed to enable you to
learn your constellations - but we also mark on the brightness, or
magnitude of a large number of stars, to help you in judging the
brightness of the meteors you see.  Our set of 4 maps can be found at
http://www.namnmeteors.org/charts.html.  Set your printer to 'landscape'
mode before printing.

For more detailed online maps - once you understand the basic constellation
outlines - check out the constellation maps of the Hawaiian Astronomical
Society at http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky/constellations.html.  For each
constellation, they provide the mythological background, a choice of maps,
and details on deep sky objects in the constellation.  For example, for the
constellation of Bootes (note the Bootid meteors this month), we have
details at http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky/boo/index.html.  For the whole
constellation map, pick the 'interactive wide area map', and click on the
'map better suited for use in the field' - then print.

There are also some great sky calendars on the web, for learning what is
happening in the sky - and when.

For meteor observers, the International Meteor Organization has a
Meteor Shower Calendar.  It's in text form, with selected maps for meteor
showers - and is the definitive reference that most meteor observers around
the globe refer to.  It can be found at http://www.imo.net

For phases of the moon, a wonderful monthly moon calendar can be printed off
from http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon.

Lastly, for the kids in your family, NASA has a wonderful printable
1-page color calendar for each month.  Every month has a comical space
photo, and the squares for the days give moon phases and interesting science
and space tidbits.  At the bottom of each month's page are weblinks to more
information.  These calendar pages are cute and colorful - and really
delightful for adults as well.  Print them off for your bulletin board from
http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/en/kids/calendar.shtml

7.  Upcoming Meetings...

June 8-14, 2006, Ostersund, Sweden...
The Workshop on Impact Craters as Indicators for Planetary Environmental
Evolution and Astrobiology will be held in Ostersund, Sweden.  Sessions
include terrestrial craters, craters on other planetary bodies, the
influences of the impact on the target area, the target area on the fate of
the projectile, and the properties of the impactor on the cratering process,
other consequences (eg. tsunamis), environments created by the impact and
their importance for life, and astrobiological aspects of impact cratering.
There will be two study field trips to the Lockne Crater, and an excursion
to the GeoCenter-Lockne Impact Crater Museum.  For information, check out
the website at http://www.geo.su.se/Lockne2006 and contact Dr. Jens Ormo of
the Planetary Geology Laboratory, CSIC/INTA, Madrid, Spain at ormo at inta.es

July 10-14, 2006, Singapore...
The AOGS, Asia Oceania Geosciences Society, will hold its 3rd Annual Meeting
in Singapore.  Jeremie Vaubaillon has advised us that there will be a
special session on the field of meteor science.  Topics covered at the
conference are quite varied - invited speakers include G. Consolmagno of the
Vatican Observatory on 'Evidence from Meteorites', Cheng Fang of Nanjing
University on 'Spectroscopic Approaches to Solar Flares:  A Review', Paul
Jones of the Australia Telescope National Facility on 'Radio Observations
from Australia of Comet 9P/Tempel 1 for Deep Impact', and Dave Anderson of
NOAA on 'Solar Activity and Indian Monsoons'.  For information, check out
the website at http://www.asiaoceania-conference.org and contact
info at asiaoceania-conference.org

September 14-17, 2006, Roden, The Netherlands...
The IMC, the International Meteor Conference of the IMO, the International
Meteor Organization, will be held near Roden in the Netherlands.  This is
the annual get-together for both amateur meteor observers and professional
researchers alike.  Talks will cover all types of meteor observing - visual,
telescopic, photographic, video, and radio.  The registration fee is 120
Euros, and includes the conference, all meals, all accommodation, an
excursion, and a conference t-shirt.  Special workshops will be held on
meteor orbit determination and radio meteors from September 11th to 13th,
with a separate fee.  Put Holland on your calendar for September!  For more
info, check out http://www.imo.net/imc2006

For information on upcoming astronomy meetings, see: 'International
Astronomy Meetings List' at http://cadcwww.hia.nrc.ca/meetings

8.  For more info...

NAMN email: namn at namnmeteors.org
NAMN website: http://www.namnmeteors.org

Mark Davis, meteors at comcast.net
Goose Creek, South Carolina, USA
Coordinator, North American Meteor Network

Cathy Hall, chall at cyberus.ca
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Writer, NAMN Notes

Lew Gramer, dedalus at alum.mit.edu
Homestead, Florida, USA
Coordinator, Public Outreach
Owner/Moderator, 'MeteorObs'

Kevin Kilkenny, namnfireball at earthlink.net
Staten Island, New York, USA
Coordinator, Fireballs and Meteorites

Back issues of NAMN Notes can be found online at the NAMN website and in
the MeteorObs archives at:
http://www.meteorobs.org by selecting 'Browse Archive by Month'

To subscribe to the meteor email list:
Contact Lew Gramer at: dedalus at alum.mit.edu

Here's to 'Clear Skies' for June...

June 2006 NAMN Notes
written by Cathy Hall & edited by Mark Davis