(meteorobs) My radio meteor problem

Michael Boschat aa063 at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Jun 9 06:03:52 EDT 2006

Hi again:

 I work on the Channel 6 minus offset of 83.24 Mhz. This morning I went
to 83.25 Mhz
just to see what it was like, I got a hard "tone" sound. I've heard that
before and it
is not local, it has to be atmospherics. I remember that tone fading out
then coming in
strong at other times a few years ago.
That is why I went to 83.24 Mhz. On the positive offset of 86.24 Mhz it
is similar.

 My filter to eliminate other background FM stations ect can be tuned to
63.25 Mhz
or Channel 4 thus I could drop lower but I do not have a spectrum
analyizer to get the
filter tuned right on. I *use* to get the filter tested at the
university as they had a rdaio astronomy dept
but now that is no more and there is no one here in Halifax has such a
device anymore,
well, only the TV stations, cable and phone companies...and they do
*not* do this for
individuals.

 So for now, I'll have to hear the static and wait for the atmospherics
to go to get the meteor
pings.

Now, a university station dropped to 88.1 MHz FM at about 25,000 watts.
I'm about
1.5 miles from them. Not sure how long they have been at that frequency
as I only noticed
it 4 days ago.

--
Clear skies