(meteorobs) More on the Norwegian meteorite

Armando Afonso armandoafonso at oniduo.pt
Tue Jun 13 05:02:35 EDT 2006

That has the look of a percussion mark, to me.
The shape is elipsoidal, the internal part is fractured, the envolving rock
seams, by contrast, healty.
It would be a strange rockslide.
Even if the scale of the scar is dificult to evaluate from the photo, a mass
of an average car falling at the final speed of a meteorite, would not let
more evidence on a granite surface than this, I think.
Big craters form when cosmic speed is maintained, with asteroid sized
bodies, but why are we expecting such a big thing?
AA