(meteorobs) More on the Norwegian meteorite

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Tue Jun 13 08:48:48 EDT 2006

>>That has the look of a percussion mark, to me.
The shape is  elipsoidal, the internal part is fractured, the envolving rock
seams, by  contrast, healty.
It would be a strange rockslide.
Even if the scale of  the scar is dificult to evaluate from the photo, a mass
of an average car  falling at the final speed of a meteorite, would not let
more evidence on a  granite surface than this, I think.
Big craters form when cosmic speed is  maintained, with asteroid sized
bodies, but why are we expecting such a big  thing?<<
One of the things that looks odd to me in the photo is the fact that  the
plants growing right up to the edge of the removed rock looks mighty  healthy.
I'd expect a shattering of rock to destroy at least some of the plants  just
outside the removed rock "depression", particularly if there were anything  that
had any cosmic velocity. Also, where are the meteorites? I'd expect to see
some of them fairly close by...as a matter of fact, I'd think whoever took the
photo probably walked on some meteorite debris coming up the hill...if there
were any to start with..
George Zay