(meteorobs) More on the Norwegian meteorite

Jan Verfl verfl.meteors at seznam.cz
Tue Jun 13 08:52:57 EDT 2006

Hello,

this story is full of contradictions.
Let's read: "..but in explosive force we may be able to compare it to the
(atomic) bomb"  vs. " stone weighing around 12"

If it the remnant was a stone weighing about 12 kilos, it has hit the ground
via a pure free fall (what is some 200-300 km per hour), so it surely did
not have any "exposive force". I'm not a geologist so it's hard to tell
whether a 12kg meteorite could cause the pictured landslide, but it would
definitely have to be a secondary effect, as 12 kg of stone is just a man's
fist.

But the main question is: Where is the metoerite? They say they have found
the landing site, but did they find teh meteoriet also? No word about this
in the news... But that's how it is - news stories are generaly very poor
source of information. Is there anybody who has some more direct
information?

Jan