(meteorobs) More on the Norwegian meteorite

Ken bicycle4ever at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 13 12:47:01 EDT 2006

I don't see anything in the photograph that distinguishes this site from many other landslides I have seen. A more specific term for this is "rock fall", typically caused by expansion of water as it freezes in fractures in a rock slope, a common occurrence on a rock slope in a cold climate (or seismic shaking in a warm climate). We need to see the debris to look for impact evidence. This is the scar where the debris was.

  One way to distinguish impact from typical rock fall might be in the distribution of the debris. Is it straight down the gravity gradient, as in common rock fall, or is it deflected, as by the force of an impactor?

  Ken (engineering geologist, Klamath Mountains)

Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek at wanadoo.nl> wrote:
  Armando, I don't think this is the impact site at all. To me (as to a number of
others who have commented here on meteorobs and on the met-central list), it
looks like a landslide, not like an explosion crater or impact pit.

- Marco

--

-----
Dr Marco Langbroek