(meteorobs) More on the Norwegian meteorite

Esko Lyytinen esko.lyytinen at jippii.fi
Tue Jun 13 12:12:06 EDT 2006

Hi,

The fireball could well have been observed from Northern Finland (if
clear skies), but we have not received any observations of this to the
URSA meteor section.

Besides general interes, I was interested for the possibilty of it
possibly having fallen into Finland area, to the Wertern "hand"or "arm"
of our country.
I do not have any other data than we have discussed here. Well, actually
I have also looked at the Swedish infrasound data at:
http://www.umea.irf.se/maps/
It appears to have been well visible in the data of all the four stations.

The Swedish data with the data published in the news (direction of
infrasound coming to then ARCES stations as given in:
http://www.astro.uio.no/ita/nyheter/ildkule06/ildkule06.html)  gives the
infrsound (starting) location only some dozens of kilometres North of
Finland side of border.

I tried to study the image (at the same URL above) by Martin Lyngdal
taken in "Pollen i Lyngen".

I could locate in my map Lyngen but not Pollen. I tried to locate the
landscape from Google satellite pictures. I think that I may have
succeeded, but not for sure.
In any case the illumination tells that the photo is taken into Eastern
direction. If I located the landscape correctly then the track
intersects the horizon in the direction 99 (+ - some degrees).

IF the direction of motion was from upper left to lower right  (as I
expect but not for sure), then it would most probably have fallen quite
a lot East from Tromso. Even Lyngen is east of Tromso.

The landing site could be near Tromso only IF the the motin in the image
would have been from lower right to upper left. Then it would have come
from East or ESE.
In the map at: http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1346411.ece
the direction of arrival is given from West. This would be quite a
contradiction.

If the motion in the image is from upper left to lower right (as l think
probable), then the arrival in any case would have been from much more
North than given in the map.

In short, I think that the meteorite has most probably fallen quite a
lot East (ESE) of Tromso, maybe roughly a hundred kilometers, but
unfortunately:) some dozens of kilometers outside (North of) of Finnish
border in the "arm".
The location of the assumed hit as in the image does not fit to this at
all !

That is my analyse (from data available in the net). This might be more
or less wrong.
(It does not seem easy for me to fit the mutual timing of the Norwegian
infrasound and seismic data.)

Esko Lyytinen

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Entwistle"
<david.entwistle at dsl.pipex.com> To: "Global Meteor Observing Forum"