(meteorobs) Radio meteor inteference?

Michael Boschat aa063 at chebucto.ns.ca
Wed Jun 14 07:04:09 EDT 2006

Hi:

Here is what I use and data, then after that what I hear as interference:
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Lat: N 44d 39'
Long: W 63d 36'
Hgt: 58 meters above sea level
Listening Frequency: 83.24 MHz
Receiver: Icom R-10
Antenna : resonant dipole
Antenna Direction: Horizontally polarized with lobes in E-W plane,
        elev 0 deg
Filter  : high-Q (Q at least 300) bandpass filter between antenna &
          receiver.
Listening Mode: CW

Ok, I hear "static" and a "shhh..sshhh..shhh" type noise, it varies for
the last few days.
Now, I set my radio to 83.25 MHz and also to it's (+) and (-) offsets in
the *AM*
mode. I heard a faint garbbled station!  I used my FM radio to track it
down and it was
on 96.5 MHz.   BUT in the CW,LSB,USB I just hear the "static" and a
"shhh..sshhh..shhh" noise.
I seem to be getting meteors but only AFTER  1400 UT to 1500 UT. My
mornings were best
last month but now it seems after above is a bit better. The noise is
still there but seems less
and I get medium to loud meteors. Yesterday I hit 118/hr.

 So, is this a way to know if the atmosphere is the culprit for my poor
reception in the
mid to late mornings?   I listened about 6am one morning and the noise
did not seem to
get bad till the Sun was higher up in the sky but then again it could be
condinence.

Mike Boschat

 PS: NOTE!  I do NOT change anything with the filter or antenna, I set
it up on the balcony
and point it in the same direction with director to west.