(meteorobs) Double sonic boom heard?

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Thu Jun 15 12:38:10 EDT 2006

>>then a news story was published on April 27, 2006 in the San  Diego
Union-Tribune stating that Scripps Institue scientists traced the boom  (with alleged
99% accuracy) to an offshore area dubbed by the US Military as  'Warning Area
291' (a restricted swath of ocean of the California  coast).  Ah, the US
military... again up to its secretive tricks.   Of course, spokesmen from all
military branches released quick statements  saying more or less "The boom was not
a result of any of OUR activity".   (I will refrain here from any
inappropriate politcal commentary).  <<

This is pretty much old news for the San Diego area. Since about the 60's,  I
recollect hearing reports of a "Mysterious sonic boom" every once in a while.
 I don't know how long ago I first heard that the sounds seemed to be
attributed  to a Navy gunnery training area somewhere far off shore. At least ten
years ago,  I've began hearing this...could have been longer. When the conditions
 are just right, sound can carry a long distance. I guess that fact is what
Project Mogul was utilizing in 1947 to detect possible Soviet atom bomb
tests...Of course, when they lost one of those balloons over Roswell, New  Mexico,
some folks thought it was a UFO flown by aliens. :O) Ah, the US
military...again up to protecting our collective butts.
George Zay