(meteorobs) Double sonic boom heard?

Skywise skywise at dslextreme.com
Thu Jun 15 14:59:57 EDT 2006

OK. I'd just like to add that in addition to my interests
in astronomy, I also have interests in seismology and space
flight.

First, the launch of the missile from Vandenberg was at
1:22 am local and my sonic boom was 11:17 pm local. I have
observed launches from VFB from my location several times
and none have ever done anything more than make for a good
light show. Never a sound. But even if there was a sound,
it would not take 22 hours for it to arrive. I have a few
launch photos in the astronomy section of my website.

The Gilroy earthquake occurred at 5:24 am the next day, 6
hours after my hearing. Also, Gilroy is just south of San
Francisco and I'm 480 km away, south of Los Angeles. I
have sensed earthquakes as low as mag 1.5 and this 'sonic
boom' was nothing like that. But I checked the maps at the
SCEC anyway and nothing was reported.

http://www.data.scec.org/recenteqs/index.html

When I heard it my first reaction was "Space Shuttle" as it
was so exactly like that - the quick double "boom-boom".
Obviously it wasn't the Shuttle.

One other possibility is re-entry by 'space junk', for which
I can ask on SeeSat-L. Like myself, I know others here also
subscribe there. But I will make a formal post just the same.

I suppose we could let our skeptical guard down a bit and
conjecture that it's something like the "Aurora" events heard
here in the early 90's, which I did hear once or twice.

Brian
--
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?