(meteorobs) Double sonic boom heard?

Ernie Iverson ewiverson at comcast.net
Thu Jun 15 22:52:22 EDT 2006

I checked my All Sky Fireball Camera backup tape from 2300 PDT to 2330
PDT.  Unfortunately, I did not see any meteor activity in that interval.
The camera is located slightly north and west of you location (33.83N
118.27W).  The camera routinely records meteors brighter than magnitude
-2.8.  I also noted that there were no clouds obstructing the cameras
visibility and light pollution was at a typical level.  The camera has
previously recorded events reported by observers located in San Diego
and also Los Vegas, NV. If it was a fireball, the camera should have
seen it. Therefore, I think it is unlikely that the source of the sonic
boom you heard is a meteor entering the earth's atmosphere.  The last
major event in this area which produced sonics was a -13.6 fireball on
March 25, 2006 that occurred over the desert east of Los Angeles.  This
event produced three sonic events that were recorded by several stations
in the Caltech seismic network.

Ernie