(meteorobs) what happend on a radiometeordetection today?

knoll at home.nl knoll at home.nl
Sun Jun 18 12:13:34 EDT 2006

Hello Joe,
A meteor makes a reflection layer in the ionosphere. This ionisation stay's
only for a few mili seconds or sometimes 2 minutes.
It depends on how big the meteor was and tha angle into the athmosphere and
such things.

I think this ping of 10000 seconds was a sporadic E reflection. Such
reflections are not made by meteor hits, but radiation from the sun makes
that the E layer reflects radio signals for several hours. Such sporadic E
layer reflections are there especialy during the summer months. Not good if
you like to count meteors via radio detection.

Perhaps you can find some info on my (not actualy updated) website
http://members.home.nl/peter-knol/meteors/

Regards, Peter Knol