(meteorobs) More on the Norwegian meteorite

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 19 11:04:03 EDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: SpaceWeather.com [mailto:swlist at spaceweather.com]
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2006 5:03 PM
To: SpaceWeather.com
Subject: Norwegian Fireball Update

Space Weather News for June 16, 2006
http://spaceweather.com

NORWEGIAN FIREBALL:  A spectacular fireball that flew over Norway last week,
causing sonic booms and making the ground shake when a meteorite presumably
hit the ground, was not quite as spectacular as first reported. Researchers
now estimate the kinetic energy of the event as 300 tons of TNT, far short
of the Hiroshima-like blast described in some news reports.

Space rocks with this much energy hit Earth more often than is commonly
supposed--once a month or so.  Most go unnoticed because they enter the
atmosphere over uninhabited stretches of our planet, or during broad
daylight when fireballs are difficult to see, or at late hours of the night
when would-be sky watchers are asleep.  This one was seen (and by some
accounts felt), so it made a bigger "splash" than usual.  Searchers are
still scouring the countryside for possible fragments of the meteorite.

MARS AND SATURN:  After passing through the Beehive star cluster last night,
Mars is on a collision course with Saturn--at least it looks that way.  The
two planets will not collide, but they will have a pleasing close encounter
in the evening sky on Saturday night, June 17th.  Look west after sunset.

Visit http://spaceweather.com for sky maps and further information.

--
               "I was thrown out of college for cheating on the
                metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the