(meteorobs) metorite hit a car in Poland

Przemyslaw Zoladek brahi at op.pl
Mon Jun 19 08:18:58 EDT 2006

--- In meteorobs at yahoogroups.com, CHRISTINECissy at ... wrote:

> In a message dated 6/17/2006 5:32:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> Patvtu51 at ... writes:
>
> In a  message dated 17/06/2006 16:26:29 GMT Daylight Time,
astronews at ...
> writes:
>
> _http://www.4lomza.pl/index.php?wiad=8053_
> (http://www.4lomza.pl/index.php?wiad=8053)
>

> The photos are impressive, alas, I do not read Polish.
>
> Perhaps I will give Babel Fish a whirl, unless there is someone
> out there who can translate this.
>
> Clear skies,
> Christine

It was a piece of Russian old military rocket Katyusha BM8 (!), not a
meteorite :)

Nevertheless a great daylight fireball (-15 to -17 magnitude) was
observed over northern Poland on 13/06/2006 at 17:10 - 17:20 UT. It
caused strange sonic boom which was heard even 60km from trajectory.

Here is a rough trajectory based on several visual reports.

http://foto.pkim.org/pfn/articles/vis2.jpg
http://foto.pkim.org/pfn/articles/vis.jpg

(Red squares on the map - visual sightings, green - places where sonic
boom was heard).

Initial velocity probably exceeds 30km/s..

Best Regards

Przemyslaw Zoladek
Polish Fireball Network