(meteorobs) Boom lowered on Valley: Loud blast, red streaks in sky probably a meteor, say experts

Tomek astronews at wp.pl
Tue Jun 20 07:13:27 EDT 2006

-

http://www.timesreporter.com/index.php?ID=55330

Residents of the Tuscarawas Valley who heard a deafening boom about 12:40 a.m. Monday and stepped outside likely saw what one person
described as "a marvelous fireball with red streaks in the sky."

Bob Reed, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Pittsburgh, said it probably was a meteor falling through the
atmosphere.

"We did receive one call from (Sky Warn) people who were basically wondering what was causing it," he said. "A meteor is the best
explanation we can come up with at this point."

Sky Warn participants help identify unusual weather patterns and spot storms in their communities, reporting them to the National
Weather Service.

Tuscarawas County Sheriff Lt. Lon McEnroe said a number of calls were fielded by area law enforcement agencies about 12:45 a.m.

"They told us Stark and Wayne counties all had reports of it, too," he said.

more http://www.timesreporter.com/index.php?ID=55330

-