(meteorobs) My radio meteor problem

Mark Steven Williams k9gx at n4gn.com
Mon Jun 26 22:39:10 EDT 2006

Tom,

Well, actually, 50-54 Mhz is the amateur 6 meter band. The 6 meter amateur
band will remain "as is" as far as I know. What will go away are the analog
TV carriers. The "analog" TV signals consist of an "amplitude modulated"
video carrier and "frequency modulated" audio carrier. The AM video carrier
is the constant "tone" some correspondents on this reflector report hearing.

The lowband VHF carriers are 6 Mhz wide and start with Channel 2 and 54-60
Mhz. Channel 6 TV is the highest "lowband" VHF channel...if memory serves
it's 80-86 Mhz...may be 82-88 I don't remember.

The reason we use video carriers as meteor burst  and propagation "beacons"
is that they are numerous, very powerful and scattered about at various
distances. I have, on occasion, copied the signals of european TV broadcast
stations down around 48 Mhz.

You can check propagation by monitoring the 6 meter amateur beacons between
about 50.040 and 50.080 Mhz. Most run low power, generally between 1 and 100
watts. All are automatic and many transmit at, say, 1, 10 and 100 watts in
rotation. These are CW (morse code) beacons and normally send a callsign ID
(required) and grid square identifier. If I were running a beacon it would
identify with my amateur call, K9GX, and grid square, EM78.
Unfortunately these signals vary and aren't 100 kw and on continouously.

Yes, according to the current FCC plan the analog stations are to go away in
2009. Many stations are already "simulcasting" analog and HD signals. The
analogs are to go away in '09. Most consumers have no concept about this and
will have a rude awakening in about 3 years when they are faced with
purchasing new TVs..or at the very least new tuner/converters. The market
will drive this and the stations will keep the analog carriers on for as
long as possible. That being said, an ever increasing share of the TV
viewing audience receive their TV via cable or satellite. By 2009 the
over-the-air signal may be largely irrelevant.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Regards,

Mark S. Williams
K9GX