(meteorobs) Re: My radio meteor problem

Mark Steven Williams k9gx at n4gn.com
Tue Jun 27 20:48:37 EDT 2006

Michael,

83.25 is the primary video carrier frequency for TV channel 6 in North
America. The NTSC standard (TV system in North America) and more importantly
the American FCC and Canadian telecommunications authority (the agency's
name escapes me at the moment) also specify 10 khz video carrier offsets in
an effort to reduce video interference between stations when the bands open
up and "skip" conditions are present. Keeping everybody on Channel 2 off the
same video carrier frequencies mitigates this somewhat.

I did a quck check of my WRTH (World Radio Television Handbook) and, because
of the number of TV stations they don't present a city by city listing of TV
stations. I am a bit confused about your comment about your filter only
eliminating the "noise" on 83.25. If you have a Channel 6 locally, Channel 6
is about the LAST place you want to be monitoring meteor bursts. I don't
have a channel by channel listing for you there in Halifax and don't have
the time right now to check the FCC media database.

The way to monitor TV video carrier frequencies is by listening on a TV
channel which is not occupied by a local station. Here in my location, near
Louisville, KY, we have a station operating on Channel 3. So, I usually
monitor the video carrier frequency of Channel 2.

Maybe you will find this helpful. Here are the video carrier frequencies for
the lowband VHF TV stations in North America.

(Ch 2) 55.25, (Ch 3) 61.75 (Ch 4) 67.25 (Ch 5) 77.25 and (Ch 6) 83.25

Again, each Channel has +/- offsets, therefore on 2 you will find carriers
at 55.24, 55.25 and 55.26. Usually here I can hear the video carrier from 2
in Dayton fairly strongly on 55.26 (working from memory again) on
groundwave. So, I listen on 55.24.

I am curious about the radio you are using. What one really needs to do this
is a "communications" receiver (I use a ham transceiver) capable of
receiving "CW" (morse code) mode. In CW mode continouous carriers present as
a constant tone. Most bursts in this mode also present a bit of doppler
shift depending on whether the pebble falls toward or away from the
direction of the transmitter. The doppler bursts present interesting
frequency shifts depending on the speed of the meteor. An FM scanner really
isn't ideally suited for this sort of work.

Tell me about your setup there...and don't go off grumbling in the night
like I do. I had this very discussion with my engineering peers at the radio
stations the other day. They think I'm a relic..

Regards,

MSW
Mark S. Williams
K9GX