(meteorobs) Claimed meteorite fall in Bahia, Brazil, on March 6

Ed Cannon ecannon at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 10 00:45:44 EST 2006

Found on the Bad Astronomy and Universe Today Forum (paraphrased
from the Portuguese news story with help from Babelfish):

A meteorite fall has been reported in Bahia state, Brazil, on
the evening of March 6.  Frightened people saw a fireball in
the sky and reported a plane crash to the local police, who
found only a crater and damage (including fire damage -- ahem!)
to nearby trees. People from a nearby observatory were going to
try to get samples for analysis [more on this below].

Here's the B.A.U.T. Forum link:

http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=39012

Here's the news story linked to from the above page:

http://noticias.terra.com.br/brasil/interna/0,,OI908174-EI306,00.html

Here's a longer story in Portuguese (with video for subscribers
to the website):

http://jornalnacional.globo.com/Jornalismo/JN/0,,AA1150498-3586-425703,00.html

This next one mentions other aspects of the story, including
that the police found five holes in the ground (I found this
one using the pair of search terms "meteorito" and "antonio de
jesus" on Google, and the Google translation is pretty rough
English and also amusing.):

http://br.news.yahoo.com/060307/25/12ija.html

The next link is to a follow-up story reporting that the
people from the observatory didn't find any pieces of the
meteorite and think/guess someone has it and hopes to sell
it (Then it discusses a giant meteorite, the Bendego, that
fell in Brazil in the 18th century.  I learn something new
every day.):

http://br.news.yahoo.com/060309/25/12kre.html

Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA
(I can make out the general sense of the Portuguese news
stories because I can read Spanish very well.)