(meteorobs) 6/7 March observation

pmartsching at mchsi.com pmartsching at mchsi.com
Sat Mar 11 10:53:33 EST 2006

I went out the morning of March 7th (local time) do get in an hour of meteor
observing and to try to see Comet Pojmanski.  Conditions were not that great for
meteor observing or viewing the comet.  This year has been very cloudy in
central Iowa.  There have been four clear, Moonless nights since January 1st I
have not gone out to observe because it was cold and windy and I have been
having some trouble with sinus headaches and thought I'd best not go out.

07 March 2006 09:15 - 10:15 (CST 06/07 March 2006 315 - 415 am)

Paul Martsching
McFarland Park 4 miles NE of Ames, Story County, Iowa
Long: 93 deg 34 min W   Lat: 42 deg 05 min N   Elevation: 318 meters
Method: Visual; pencil, paper and talking clock

Sporadics
No Virginids/Eclipticids seen

09:15 - 10:15; 26 degrees F; wind South 10 mph; thin fog/generalized haze; no
snow; from time to time streaks/patches of haze/very thin clouds moving thru;
average limiting magnitude ~5.5; facing East 50 degrees; Total teff 1.0 hour
(12 jets/airplanes)
Time   mag.   type   comment
09:25  +2     Spor
09:48  +3     Spor
10:08  +3     Spor
10:13  +2     Spor
Sporadics: +2(2), +3(2)

At 4:16 am CST I got my "best" view of the comet.  All I could see in 7 X 35
binoculars was the bluish coma.  As the comet got higher in the sky conditions
worsened.  By 4:45 I could not see any of the stars of Delphinus or the comet.