(meteorobs) Leonids 1998 ZHR and correction for atmospheric extinction

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Wed Mar 22 08:24:13 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/22/06 8:07:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jureatanackov at email.si writes:

<< "A colleague went outside for a smoke at around 05:15 UT, and only got
halfway
 through his cigarette  before he'd seen 35 meteors, mostly fireballs." - OK,
 had some coffee today with my friends and one of them is a smoker. He agreed
 do an experiment - he had to smoke a cigarette and I timed how long it took.
5
 minutes. So it might be reasonable to expect that mr. Fitzsimmons' colleague
 observed for 2-3 minutes, indicating a rate of 12-17 Leonids per minute or a
raw
 rate of 700-1000 Leonids per hour.  >>

This sounds like a great topic for a future paper to be published in WGN:
"The new cigarette method for computing Zenithal Hourly Rates."
:)
-- joe rao