(meteorobs) Leonids 1998 ZHR and correction for atmospheric extinction

Arlene Carol arlene.carol at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 09:37:58 EST 2006

Cigarettes aside...i clearly remember my 1998 Leonid experience...the 'show'
started around 11pm local time
with meteors coming in from the east and very parallel to the horizon for
the first 30 minutes or so...by 12:30am they were all over the sky...i was
only able to see about 1/3 of the sky
(my back was to the building and on higher elevation...i was next to a bay
about 5 km from the Aegean Sea to my west). Earlier in the evening, there
had been clouds to the north of this location so as i was observing the
Leonids to the south and the 'ground lit up' i ASSUMED it was caused by
lightening.
every few minutes, everything lit up...but there was no thunder...NOW i
understand that it was fireballs and i could kick myself because i didn't
realize it at the time!

i was able to count only 25 meteors a minute but i was certain that the real
count was much higher...i was, after all, only seeing part of the sky..

no meteor shower since that auspicious evening has ever come close to
thrilling me as much as the 1998 Leonids.
I'm so glad i was able to see it...a memory to last a lifetime.

arlene
south of Troy