(meteorobs) March 2006 NEBULA on-line

Bias, Peter V pbias at flsouthern.edu
Wed Mar 22 17:02:33 EST 2006

Hi George and all,

After reading George's NEBULA newsletter, I went to a couple other sites (Gary Kronk's site and the 2003 Icarus paper "Meteor Outbursts from Long-Period Comet Dust Trails" by Esko Lyytinen and Peter Jenniskens) to reaquaint myself with Lyrid history and projections.  Here's what I found:
There have been at least seven small outbursts (> 20 meteors per hour) since the major shower in 1803 (1849, 1850, 1863, 1884, 1922, 1945, 1982).
Only one (1863) is believed to be associated with a 1-period dust trail.
At least three of the outbursts have been near 100 ZHR (1922, 1945, 1982).
Next prejected Lyrid shower is in 2040.

Regards,

   Pete Bias