(meteorobs) tau-herculids, Meteor shower from 73P

vaubaill vaubaill at imcce.fr
Wed May 17 15:25:16 EDT 2006

Hi guies,

To answer your questions, in hope I am clear enough...

Ok, the full story about the "non-coming meteor shower from 73P" can be
found at:

http://aquarid.physics.uwo.ca/~pbrown/taus.pdf

Beside the Draconids, you can also check my web site that I recently
updated:

http://www.imcce.fr/page.php?nav=en/ephemerides/phenomenes/meteor/index.php
http://www.imcce.fr/page.php?nav=en/ephemerides/phenomenes/meteor/predictions.php

About the tau-Herculids, here are the closest distance of the stream to
the Earth and the corresponding time:

2006 => 0.053 au, May 31st
2022 => 0.002 and 0.004 au, on May 30th-31st (2 trails)

Apparently Drummond computed the minimum distance between the 2 orbits
(Earth and fragment C), but this is not enough to do meteor shower
forceasting, as shown in our paper (Wiegert et al.)
HOWEVER, who can tell he got the ultimate truth? Our conclusion was that
nothing particular is expected but again who knows? Maybe the
tau-Herculids will be a good surprise, as the Leonids did a few years ago ?
So keep your eyes open guies, and please let us know of any unusual
activity!!!

;-)

Jeremie

--