(meteorobs) Fire Ball seen in Delfzijl - The Netherlands

knoll at home.nl knoll at home.nl
Tue May 23 07:08:49 EDT 2006

Your Name?
 Peter Knol

Your Town/State/Country?
 Delfzijl / Groningen / The Netherlands

Date and Time?
 22 May 2006 / 20:40 UTC

What compass direction did the fireball appear from?
 WNW

What compass direction did the fireball DISAPPEAR from?

How long, in seconds, were you able to see it in the sky?
 0.3 -- 0.5

How many degrees off the horizon was it when it APPEARED?
(As a reference, a closed fist held at arm's length is
approximately 10 degrees.)
  30

How many degrees off the horizon was it when it DISAPPEARED?
 20

How bright did it appear?
Like a star, Venus, the Moon, or the setting Sun?
  moon

Did it have any color(s)?
 White center and Green outside  (like burning alumium ???)

Did it appear to fall apart as it went by? What did that look like?
  Yes, sparkles of fire in the trail. These sprakles where orange

Did it leave a persistent streak in the sky after it was gone?
How long did that last?
  Dit not see that.

How fast did it move? Use a 1 to 5 scale, 1 being
VERY slow, and 5 being extremely quick.
  3 (difficult to say without much experience)

Did you hear a sound?
If yes, what was the time delay from sighting to sound?
  No, I was inside an building with radio music and electric engines running (at my work)

What is the closest Town/State to where you saw the fireball?
  Delfzijl in the North/East part of The Netherlands.

Please put any additional remarks, sketches, drawings, etc. below:
  My location was in the twilight zone. It was not 100% dark at that time.
  I was in a building and did look outside.
  Suddenly a bright fire ball with sparkles of fire in the trail where visible when I look trought the window.
  It was not a usual "faling star". I did not check the time exactly (sorry :-)
  It must be around 20:40 UTC i think (+/- 3 minutes)

Regards, Peter Knol