(meteorobs) low level activity from Tau Herculids shower?

Richard Kramer kramer at sria.com
Fri May 26 10:34:41 EDT 2006

I also observed two Herculids from Massachusetts during an informal
session the night of May 22/23. While walking the dog around midnight
EST, I stretched out for about 15 minutes in a gravel parking lot to
see what was doing. During the first 5 or 7 minutes of that time, I
saw two spectacular, slow, long, bluish white, meteors with faint,
1/2 second duration, greenish trains, one at magnitude -3 and the
second at -4 or perhaps -5. The second followed a long track down
towards western Scorpio, the first passed right through the little
dipper. I guess it was my good luck to have my eyes on the right
piece of sky at the right time that night!

I would have liked to return for some formal observation without the
dog, but unfortunately, I was operating on only 4 hours sleep the
previous night and was simply "out of gas."

Richard