(meteorobs) Observation May 4/5 2006

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Fri May 26 15:20:10 EDT 2006

On the morning of May 5, I enjoyed some nice meteor observing at the
Boundary road site in company of Chris Cloutier (who was trying his
luck at photographing meteors).  The meteor rates were quite high and
it was a productive session leading up to morning twilight.  Although
sporadics were the main activity, a few speedy Eta Aquarids were seen
as well as one candidate for Eta Lyrid (IAA).

Clear skies,

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: May 4/5 2006
BEGIN: 0710 UT (0310 EDT)  END: 0840 UT (0440 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75.063 West; Lat: 45.269 North  Elevation: 300 ft
City & Province: Boundary road, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting & cord align

OBSERVED SHOWERS:________________________________________radiant
position
             ANT (Antihelion)_________________________15:56 -20
	    IAA (Eta Lyrids)_________________________19:04 +44
	    ETA (Eta Aquarids)_______________________22:36 -01
             SPO (sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)_FIELD____Teff__LM_____SPO_ANT_IAA_ETA

0710-0840__2029+30__1.46__5.75___15___0___1___4

The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken down
as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time I did not
spent looking at the sky).  The next column (LM) is the average naked
eye limiting magnitude, determined by triangle star counts. All
following columns indicate the number of meteors for each shower
observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
______+1__+2__+3__+4__+5______AVE

SPO____0___4___3___5___3_____+3.46
ETA____1___2___0___1___0_____+2.25
ETA____0___0___0___1___0_____+4.00

Note: Magnitude scale is to determine the brightness of sky objects.
Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with the
planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius, magnitude
+2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6 to +7 are
the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a
fireball. The above table contains the magnitudes from all observed
meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV): None

F = 1.00

Dead time: 2.33 min (breaks and plot)

Breaks (UT): 7:50-52