(meteorobs) Observation May 25/26 (ATAJU)

Jure Atanackov jureatanackov at email.si
Sat May 27 11:27:23 EDT 2006

Hello,

Thursday night I observed with Javor from Zaplana again. A cold front passed
through a day before, dumping a lot of rain and cleaning the sky thoroughly. We
arrived at the location just before midnight and there was some thin cirrus
cover, but in the clear parts the sky was just spectacular. It cleared later
during observation and limiting magnitude was 7.1 to 7.2. The Milky way was
spectacular with intricate detail, faint wisps in Draco, Hercules and Cepheus
prominent and dark nebulae in Cygnus and Cepheus appearing as dark holes in its
glow. The bulge in Sagittarius was well visible, despite some light pollution at
the horizon, with many star clouds and dark nebulae visible. The Milky way way
visible right down to the horizon. This was some of the best sky I've seen in a
long time!
Meteor activity was good too! In 2.02h teff I saw 37 meteors, all of them being
sporadics. There were many, many faint meteors, with magnitude distribution from
0. to +6. magnitude: 2,1,6,7,7,11,4. Hourly rates were 22 and 15. Many meteors
were short, several less than a degree and were seen well only due to their
short distance from the center of field of view. The best meteor seen was a fast
0. magnitude yellow sporadic with a 2-second train that appeared just below
Polaris. It looked just like a Perseid. No tau Herculid candidates were seen.