(meteorobs) Re: LEONID METEOR OUTBURST IN THE OFFING?

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Wed Nov 15 22:25:07 EST 2006

Bruce and All,

Jim Richardson did a study of this and his calculations show that meteors
can actually be seen with an altitude of -9 degrees. Of course these would
be extremely rare, but still possible. His paper can be read on the AMS
website at: http://www.amsmeteors.org/acm99jer.pdf

I have seen Leonids while the radiant was as far as 5 degrees below the
horizon. If I recall correctly all meteors I have seen with their radiants
located below the horizon have been of negative magnitudes. I can probably
count the number of these on one hand...

Best wishes for clear skies!

Bob Lunsford