(meteorobs) Leonids from South-eastern France

Karl Antier ka.antier at wanadoo.fr
Sat Nov 18 06:23:28 EST 2006

Hi all !

After three days of covered skies and a huge thunderstorm yesterday
evening, I was thinking I would lost the main part iof the Leonids...
Fortunately, when I accidentaly woke up at 3h TU this night, I saw
that there were a hole in the cloud, leaving for approximately one
hour a big part of clean dark sky.
lm was appraximately 6.6, and in the interval (Teff ~ 0.8 h), I could
spot 4 Leonids, 1 alpha-Monocerotid, 1 Northern Taurid and 4 sporadics.
The nicest one was undoubtedly the NTA, a slow (7°/s) orange moving -3.5 fireball,
which fragmented twice, and lost brightness in the second second (it lasted 3
seconds).
So Leonids were there, but may display next night !
I let you informed as soon as possible !

Clear skies and good luck to all !
Karl (Valensole 43°50 N, 6° E)