(meteorobs) Leonids From North of Houston Nov.18

Kenneth Drake kdrako at consolidated.net
Sat Nov 18 21:50:01 EST 2006

I observed 55 minutes this morning from 10:05-11:00UT in magnitude 5.7
skies. I counted 11 Leonids. Six of them were brighter than 0 magnitude
with one being a -5 fireball that tracked about 10 degrees along the
south length of Gemini (10:32:30UT). It left a train that kinked and
twisted until it turned into a 2 degree soft puffball and persisted
slightly over five minutes. It was the best Leonid I've seen in years -
maybe since 2001.

I counted six non Leonids in that time -  three of which seemed to
radiate from an area near Iota and Kappa Ursa Majoris.

Also saw a great Iridium flare (Iridium 19) at 10:43:15UT.

Kenneth Drake
55 miles north of Houston, Texas