(meteorobs) Few Leonids along coast

Mark Davis meteors at comcast.net
Sun Nov 19 14:50:07 EST 2006

I observed again for about 6 hours this morning beginning a little after
2200 hours local time. We actually got to the site at 1800 hours and set up
4 telescopes for a couple hours of cluster hunting. During this time we were
rewarded with a couple minus magnitude sporadics. Switching over to meteor
observing did little to increase our rates. The Leonids were steady all
through the night, but only produced a handful per hour. Highest rate was 6.
Average magnitude was about normal. I recorded no AMOs. The Taurids were
noticeably present, producing a couple per hour from each radiant. The
weather was clear all night, but we were taken a bit by surprise on how far
the temperature dropped. By morning we had a thin layer of ice on some of
our equipment and were uncomfortably cold. But overall it was an enjoyable
night!

Mark Davis
South Carolina, USA