(meteorobs) LEO central Texas Nov 18/19 and question

Ed Cannon ecannon at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Nov 19 16:38:46 EST 2006

QUESTION:  What's the correct way to count meteors seen in
peripheral vision whose direction/radiant can't be determined but
that might have been Leonids?  I had five of those this morning.

Summary for Nov 18/19 (morning of Nov 19 local time)

Location:  Bastrop County, Texas; Lat. 30.25 N, Long. 97.16 W
(about 40 miles/62 km east of my place in Austin)

Chilly!  Calm.  Very pretty weather again.

LM +5.5 (or better) by faintest stars
Teff 160 minutes; LEO 26, Unk 5, AMO 1, TAU 2, SPO 22
Teff 5 or 15 minutes (long story); LEO 0, AMO 1, TAU 1
Time kept using WWV

Best were two -4 LEOs.  Also while I was packing up there was a
bright flash to my left (northwest) -- wish I had seen that one!

Extremely loud birds trumpeting and making other weird
noises!  Hogs fighting (either feral hogs or javelinas,
a.k.a. collared peccaries).  Donkey or mule braying.
Cows mooing.  Roosters crowing.  Buck seen on way out.
Fun!

I made a tallying error yesterday morning (Nov 17/18).
I really counted 13 LEO, 9 Others (not 8 Others).

Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA
ecannon circle-at mail dot utexas dot edu