(meteorobs) Zodiacal Lights and peaks of Meteor showers?

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 20 21:13:05 EST 2006

Tom,

Your question about Zodiacal light and meteor showers has at least one
historical connection.  At the time of the 1833 Leonid storm, there was also
a good zodiacal display.  Because the storm was such a novelty and because
the lights were prominent, Denison Olmsted became intrigued with the
correlational possibilities.  His interest in the prominence of the zodiacal
lights lasted many years after the 1833 storm and he reported, in the
American Journal of Science, on the presence of the light during succeeding
Leonid returns.  He eventually seemed to believe that it was because the
Earth approached the lights in November, that the meteors appeared.  At that
time, the 1830s and 40s, astronomers did not know about meteoroids being in
cometary trails, and they were searching for any explanation for the shower,
including the aurora.  It wasn't until the early 1860s that Giovanni
Schiaparelli made the comet and meteor connection.

To respond to your question, I believe that there is no causal connection,
it's just a chance correlation, although a visually compelling one!  Meteors
come from comet debris trails that intersect earth's orbit, and the zodiacal
light, I believe, is composed of solar system debris, dust, close to the
sun.

Rich