(meteorobs) Audio specimens of Radio Leonids- 1998 and 2001

Thomas Ashcraft heliotown27 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 21 10:40:15 EST 2006

I recently gave a listen to my old forward scatter audio tapes of the Leonids in 1998 and 2001 and now I think they are pretty interesting.  At the time of those storms, my concern was individual meteor counts and I had dismissed my recordings then because there were so many fireballs that the tapes saturated with long signal so that an individual count was impossible. But now I realize that this rare condition of supersaturation is possible data in and of itself and I believe the tapes hold some interesting information.

  I just posted a hasty webpage of some 1998 radio specimens that include a few samples of fireballs in the first hour of radiant rise where my baseline continuum was still smooth and the meteors individuated. After about an hour of the radiant rising above the horizon the high atmospheres were beginning to saturate with smoke trails that hung in the sky so that transmitter reception was nearly constant and drowned out small meteor strikes.  But, you can hear large meteors striking one after the other creating layers and layers of multiple transmitter cacophony.

  Recorded in stereo with two separate radios and antennas at 89.5 FM and 91.1 FM:

http://www.heliotown.com/Radio_Leonids_1998.html

  I am still processing the 1998 tape and I hope to extract and post specimen sound files of the 2001 storm in the near future.

  Thomas Ashcraft
  Radio Fireball Observatory
  New Mexico