(meteorobs) Leonids radio observations near Paris, France

Jean-Louis.RAULT at fr.thalesgroup.com Jean-Louis.RAULT at fr.thalesgroup.com
Wed Nov 22 11:28:28 EST 2006

Dear all

To get a better estimation of the Leonids 2006 peak time(s), and knowing that the  results of the software "meteor automatic counters" are subject to many artefacts, I used a fine frequency spectral analysis to MANUALLY count any echoes displayed between 03:00 and 06:00 UTC, which is a quite boring task :o)
I sorted the echoes in two types: underdense and overdense, according to their duration.
The figures are as follows:
	UTC+1		Underdense	Overdense
	04:05		60		4
	04:15		62		2
	04:25		67		6
	04:35		65		9
	04:45		54		9
	04:55		47		7
	05:05		73		12
	05:15		66		10
	05:25		74		12
	05:35		61		13
	05:45		64		18
	05:55		53		20
	06:05		66		18
	06:15		58		17
	06:25		62		13
	06:35		64		14
	06:45		60		12
	06:55		69		5

Each manual count corresponds to a 10 minutes time slice.
The corresponding curves (available on demand) show that:
- the underdense echoes don't present any particulatr peak during that period (does it means that it was only the ordinary sporadic daily flux ?)
- the overdense echoes present a clear peak at 04:55 UTC +/- 5 minutes.

At the moment, I only analysed the 3 to 6 UTC time period on the 19th of november.
So my conclusion presently is that there was at least one radio peak around 4:55 UTC.
When time permits, I'll manually count some other time periods ...

Kind regards

Jean-Louis Rault

P.S.: The software I used to perform the Doppler frequency fine analysis allowing to separate large and faint echoes is Spectrum Lab from Wolfgang Büscher DL4HYF