(meteorobs) server email delays

Brewster b.lamacchia at comcast.net
Mon Nov 27 10:09:48 EST 2006

Hi all,

The server that handles meteorobs is getting barraged by spam right now.

Posts to the list may not show up right away as we're getting hit by
a huge increase in spam, and a lot of it seems to be coming from
mailers more designed to screw up email than send spam (in that it
holds connections open for a long time in what appears to be an
attempt to shut out others).

Though since you're reading this email does get through, but it may
take a while (like 12 to 24 hours).

Of course these things start when everyone is away (US Thanksgiving holiday)

I have made a few changes and I'm looking to see what else we can do
to reduce the impact.

Regards,

Brewster
(sysadmin)