(meteorobs) OCA:s coming?

esko.lyytinen at jippii.fi esko.lyytinen at jippii.fi
Thu Oct 5 03:37:08 EDT 2006

Hi,

Next night Oct 5/6 there may be the 2005 found (by Jarmo Moilanen)
shower October Camelopardalids active?

In 2005 there may have been some level outburst, but this is not so sure
if it was an outburst or an annual maximum. I think that my earlier year
meteor-scatter data gives support that this is (more or less) of an
annual shower.
The FWHM width is only some hours.

If this will happen at the same solar longitude than last year, the
maximum would be at about 01 or 02 UT. There may be an uncertainty of a
few hours, but because of the high inclination of the orbit, probably
not much more.

The meteors are expected to be bright. So a wide open field of view to
the horizon would give the best oberved rates (if any), but this setup
(concentrating the observation near the horizon) may not be according to
the IMO standards of observing for normal ZHR derivation.

The radiant is 164, +79.

Jarmo Moilanen has a Finnish language web page on this (in 2005) at:
http://www.somerikko.net/observatorio/vidmet/oca.html
You can see some figures here, even if you don't understand Finnish.
In 2005, Jarmo's camera captured 12 OCA:s in a few hours.

The weather does not look very promising here in Finland.
Hope this can be observed a little more South.
Esko Lyytinen

__
Saunalahti Xtra - Uusi GSM-vuokrapuhelin ja edistykselliset Xtra-palvelut käyttöösi alk. 4,95 e/kk! http://saunalahti.fi/xtra/