(meteorobs) Stronger than usual Orionids - East GA USA

Richard Runcie doco12004 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 21 13:05:03 EDT 2006

Wayne,

  Do you remember the approximate time of the -6 fireball. I also live in NJ and observed (briefly) a very bright meteor that started low, almost directly South and dropped below the tree line. As bright as it was for the low altitude and obscuring trees I know I missed a really nice one. I was observing with my 8 year old son and wasn't logging rates or times, but figured it was around 1:30-2:00am. The rates also seemed higher to me than normal for this shower.

  Thanks, Rick Runcie

meteors at eclipse.net wrote:
  Kim, don't know what my rates were, since I just got up and haven't
transcribed tapes. While my rates were not that high, as my eyes and skies
are not as good as yours, rates were higher than I expected.
Also had a nice -6 Orionid fireball that left a 10 second train. Nice!

More later

Wayne in NJ

> I spent three hours observing before dawn this morning and had an
> incredible
> night -- I had Orionid rates that I don't ever recall having before in
> the
> past. Here's hoping someone can confirm the following rates:
> Observing Site -- East Georgia, USA
>
> 7:00 - 8:00 UT ORI (28) SPO (09) STA (03) LMI (1)
> 8:00 - 9:00 UT ORI (34) SPO(06) EGE(3) STA(1) NTA(1)
> 9:00 -10:00 UT ORI (39) SPO(11) EGE(2)
>
> I observed 138 meteors in three hours teff, with each hour having Orionid
> rates at double or more than double the expected amount...I had a great
> many
> bright members including a -4 that left a 1-minute+ persistant train!
> It will be later this weekend before I can reduce everything and have a
> full
> report ready.
>
> Kim Youmans
>

> --