(meteorobs) Orionids tapering off?

Alister aling at telus.net
Tue Oct 24 14:32:45 EDT 2006

Thanks to Bruce McCurdy for suggesting a meteor session. Gaia was very nice
to us and always had a decent chunk of sky available for us to watch despite
the generally cloudy conditions. Both Bruce and I will have numbers later,
but the rates were still pretty decent. Under mag 6.0 skies sometimes
better, sometimes worse, we were seeing 2-6 Orionids per 10 minute bin, with
some sporadics and Taurids thrown in for good measure.

I know meteor stream dynamics is complex and likely to frown on this naive
question, but here goes: If the rates for Orionids are surprisingly good,
what about the upcoming Eta Aquariids? Any correlation from past showers? I
expect the answer no, but worth the asking.

Good observing,
Alister Ling.