(meteorobs) Re: 5th magnitude "ceiling"

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Tue Oct 24 17:59:59 EDT 2006

Rich and All,

I feel it is simply far easier to see a fixed sixth magnitude star verses a
sixth magnitude meteor zipping along at twenty degrees per second. The
limiting magnitude estimates are still good indicators of sky transparency,
which definitely affects the activity ones sees.

Those who report an LM of sixth magnitude and report many sixth magnitude
meteors are either underestimating their LM or underestimating their meteor
magnitudes.

I have seen a few sixth magnitude meteors. They are impossible to see unless
they occur near the center of your field of view. I see many more fifth
magnitude meteors but they are far more difficult than viewing fifth
magnitude stars.

I hope this helps!

Bob