(meteorobs) Obs: 23/24 October 2006

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Tue Oct 24 20:06:39 EDT 2006

    Great Orionid reports, people, it's interesting and fun to belong to
global network! Paul M. wrote:

> Quite a few Orionids, but none brighter than mag. -2; what I would expect
> for
> this date.
> Time   mag.   type   comment
> 05:34  +2     Spor

    Sounds like you were under the same sky Alister and I were in central
Alberta. I too observed for about six (consecutive) hours Teff,
coincidentally starting at 05:34 UT! I still have to transcribe my tapes,
which for the first time include meteor-by-meteor action, but my rough
estimate at the end of the night was something over 100 total meteors inc.
12-15 Orionids per hour and nothing brighter than mag -2. We also
experienced a similar pattern of clumping vs. gaps which seemed to stretch
the limits of probabilistic randomness. That was also a highlight of my
Sunday morning session.

    Full reports of two nights' observing to follow as soon as I can.

    Bruce
    *****