(meteorobs) Re: Reuters article: "German cottage destroyed by meteor"

Ed Cannon ecannon at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Oct 30 22:49:21 EST 2006

I just learned today that ABC News also reported this
very erroneous story (by way of passing along the
Reuters story):

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=2590880

Does anyone know any ABC News producers?

I wonder if this was really something along the lines
of katyusha rocket that hit a car in Poland a couple
of months ago.

Minor fireball report.  A week ago Saturday evening
(night of October 21/22) there was a fireball that I
thought was at least -3 but my fellow observer thought
was not nearly that bright (but he didn't see all of
it and wasn't wearing his eyeglasses).  But I'm
mentioning it here because it was a nice one, and
there was a bit of a funny story related to it.  It
took more than two seconds, maybe three, to travel
about 90 degrees, from about 50 degrees up in the
southwest (225) to about 35 degrees up in the northwest
(315).  It fragmented as it traveled and at one point
almost faded out before flaring up again.  My fellow
observer emphasized how green it was, but in fact I
didn't notice that!

The funny thing is that a couple of days later I got
forwarded reports of people being awakened by loud
bangs and booms, and they ran outside and then saw
this fireball!  Well, it turns out that the fireball
occurred right at the end of the fireworks that were
the conclusion of an outdoor Rolling Stones concert
in Austin that night!  My fellow observer and I could
hear the music during the concert, and then we saw the
flashes and heard the sounds from the fireworks -- and
we were about eight miles from the park where the
concert was held!

Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA