(meteorobs) Re: OT: SMART-1 lunar crash landing Sunday morning September 3 (NEGATIVE)

David Entwistle david.entwistle at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Sep 5 14:08:35 EDT 2006

In message <25020659.1157320535081.JavaMail.gbourne at brunch.mit.edu>,
Michael Linnolt <mlinnolt at alum.mit.edu> writes
>Several members of the Hawaiian Astronomical Society and I, visually observed
>the predicted location on the Moon from 05:41 to 05:46 UT from Honolulu, HI. I
>used a 50cm reflector at 260x. No sign of any impact or after-effects were seen.
>
>Has any amateur reported a positive sighting visually or by imaging? The only
>ground based professional one I heard of was the CFHT on Mauna Kea caught it on
>video.
>
>Mike Linnolt
>---

I've only seen one other report so far. I expect there will be more to
come...

There's a series of images (animated gif) taken with an amateur setup (8
inch LX-90 at f/10 ToUcam Pro) at the link below.

http://cosmonut.org/Smart-1.gif

The observer, Peter Lipscomb, would probably qualify as a professional,
or semi-professinal astronomer, though.

newsgroup  discussion about image.
http://tinyurl.com/g699j

Peter's home page.