(meteorobs) meteoroid orbit vs parent body (comet)

chiayk chiayk1 at singnet.com.sg
Thu Sep 14 06:55:05 EDT 2006

Hartwig Lüthen wrote:
> Hi
> In fact we got a number of orbits which were quite consistent with
> published values for node, arg of perihelon, inclination and q.
> Excentricty varied in these orbits quite a bit, but I think that's
> normal for stream meteors. On the other hand, we had a number of
> orbits that were far off. The geocentric parameters (altitude of first
> detection, final altitude) looked however quite reasonable throughout
> our data.
Hi Hartwig:

    Many thanks for the input - that is exactly what i am looking for..

    If " ..the other orbits that were far off " were from short # of
frames then as you said the velocity error is large otherwise could it
be now the limitation of  2-D criteria of shower association (backward
propagation, angular velocity, path length) and only 3D information (
via 2-station)  reveal the true members vs chance 2-D alignment?

   Then a longer focal length result eg 25mm might yield better velocity
estimate. ( now meteor appears over more frames etc).

   p/s Watec 902H - no integration capability

rgds
ykchia