(meteorobs) The Moon and Meteors

David Entwistle david.entwistle at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Sep 22 05:42:20 EDT 2006

Hello meteor observers,

I hope someone can put me straight on this.

Other than the generally unwelcome reduction of observable meteor-rates
due to moon light, I haven't read of any other lunar effects on meteors.

I'm sure that the Moon has some influence on those meteors resulting
from meteoroids which have passed 'close' to the Moon. This would be
limited to meteoroids orbiting in a plane close to the ecliptic. I guess
that under the right circumstances we may see a predicable effect, on
shower meteors, some time after the Moon has appeared to pass by the
shower radiant.

Given the following,

Moon's mean distance from Earth 384,400 km
Meteor velocity 11 to 72 km/s (if these are the appropriate values to
use?)

It looks as though the meteoroids travel time, from the Moon's orbital
distance, is between 10 and 1.5 hours. This would leave the Moon within
five and one degree of the radiant at the time the meteoroids arrived at
the Earth. I appreciate that this could make visual observation
difficult, but wouldn't bother radio observers.

So my questions are - is the above description correct? Is there a
recognised consequence of the apparent passage of the Moon close to a
radiant - radiant shift, reduced influx, something else?
--
David Entwistle