(meteorobs) The Aurigids in 2007: Jenniskens expects a ZHR of 400+

Petrus Jenniskens pjenniskens at mail.arc.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 27 18:06:02 EDT 2006

Hello Joe,

I have returned from travel in Europe and am catching up
on my e-mail. I suspect your question was answered
already,
but just in case: you are right about the time of Full
Moon.
September 4 (02:32 UT) is actually the time of Last
Quarter. That was
sloppy of me. Point is that the Moon is bad for visual
observations,
but not too bad given that we are a few days away from
full
Moon and the shower is expected to be rich in -1 to +1
magnitude
meteors.

As regards to the ~2500 years, Jeremie back
integrated the orbit and found that the previous return of
the
comet was in 82 BC. The orbital period is affected by
planetary
perturbations and changes somewhat from one return to the
next.

-Peter

---